Many ingredients can contribute to the health of your skin and I’m really excited about those of Vitamin C for skin. Well studied and well documented, the benefits of the little anti-aging superstar are undisputed!
Also known as L-ascorbic acid, Vitamin C is found in a variety of food and used as a dietary supplement. But, it also packs a powerful punch when it comes to skin. If you haven’t considered topical Vitamin C for skin wellness yet, it’s something you may want to think about. Here are 5 proven benefits of topical Vitamin C for skin that will leave you fresh, youthful and glowing:
- Antioxidant Protection. As an antioxidant, Vitamin C helps to protect skin against damage caused by free radicals, unstable molecules which can wreak havoc to skin cells. Free radicals can be generated upon exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light or pollution. Vitamin C acts as a shield to minimize their disruption.
- Protection Against Sun Damage. Although not a sunscreen, Vitamin C limits the damage caused by exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. It does this through its antioxidant activity, by neutralizing free radicals. Although Vitamin C alone can provide photoprotection, it works best in conjunction with Vitamin E, which increases the action of Vitamin C four-fold.
- Boosts Collagen Synthesis. (Bye Bye Wrinkles!). Vitamin C is essential for the synthesis of collagen, a protein which forms part of the skin’s structural framework.
- Fights Hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C falls disrupts the synthesis of melanin, which is responsible for skin’s colouring. This makes it a useful agent in treating age spots, melasma and brightening the skin tone.
- Anti-Inflammatory Agent. Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory activity and can be used in conditions like acne vulgaris and rosacea. It has been shown to promote wound healing and prevent post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Vitamin C treatments are best applied in the morning when they offer protection from daily assaults. If you’re convinced about Vitamin C for skin, we’ve got you covered with Apothekari Bespoke Vitamin C Serum. Available in both a 10% and 15% concentration, we make this treatment to order to ensure its stability and potency. Including ferulic acid, Vitamin E and an arsenal of antioxidants, this light serum delivers unparalleled antioxidant protection. It also boasts hyaluronic acid and glycerin to moisturize and hydrate. What are you waiting for?!