In last week’s blog post – Part 1 of “Why Apothekari?”, I discussed the science based nature of Apothekari Dermaceuticals, but what you may not know is that Apothekari is also a natural skin care line.
You’ll know from talking to me and from previous posts that I don’t necessarily think a natural skin care line is the goal to aim for when it comes to looking after your skin. The word ‘natural’ is an unregulated one when it comes to skin care so companies are free to use it as they see fit. When they refer to themselves as a natural skin care line, do companies mean:
- The line is plant based?
- The line has no preservatives? (cause for concern in most cases)
- The line contains some botanical or plant extracts?
- The line is made at home rather than in a lab? (in this case, I’d be a bit scared as the quality control may be a bit suspect)
- The line contains no chemicals (which is misleading as everything is a chemical!).
You see what I mean. One phrase can have so much meaning that without a clear and concise definition, it is open to interpretation.
I’m going to make an assumption that when you’re looking for skin care products that you want treatments that are both safe AND effective. I get why you may gravitate towards a natural skin care line. We’re all trying to reduce our chemical load. As a mother of teenage daughters, that’s important to me too. However, that shouldn’t be your only goal. If you’re spending your money, you need to make sure that your products are well formulated and contain ingredients that will allow them to be effective as well.
Apothekari Is Free From
We rely on science in Apothekari formulations, selecting clinically proven ingredients to produce treatments that deliver results. Just because they are effective though, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t safe. What’s NOT in Apothekari, is just as important as what is. Our products are:
- Paraben-free. There’s a lot of controversy surrounding this preservative so we’ve taken the precaution of excluding it.
- Formaldehyde free. Preservatives which may be highly sensitizing to skin.
- SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) and SLES (sodium laureth sulfate) free. Foaming agents which make skin feel squeaky clean yet strip away its natural protective oils and increase its pH levels, leaving it feeling dry and irritated. Much more gentle alternatives are available and we have chosen to use these instead.
- Phthalate-free. Found in ‘parfum’ and ‘fragrance’, phthalates are linked with concerns about reproductive health. Some forms have been banned in the European Union.
- Synthetic fragrance-free. Often a source of phthalates, fragrances are one of the most common causes of allergic reactions.
- Synthetic colorant free
- Cruelty-free/No animal testing.
The line is soon to be glycol free as well!
If you’re looking for a science based, effective AND safe skin care line, you’ve come to the right place! Apothekari: No hype or empty promises – just results.