Why Pharmacists and Skin Care Make Sense
When it comes to skin care, you may wonder if a pharmacist is adequately prepared to formulate treatments, give advice regarding suitable products and know when more serious care is required. A bit of healthy skepticism is a good thing so this is a valid question to ask!
Pharmacists are highly trained healthcare professionals who undergo extensive training in a multi-year program (depending on the region, between four and six years) focusing on therapeutic knowledge and clinical skills. My education and training included a range of courses covering areas such as:
- Physiology (how plant and animal bodies work)
- Pathophysiology (diseases)
- Pharmacology (how drugs work)
- Pharmaceutical care (part of the health care team and patient care)
- Compounding (creating pharmaceutical products to fit the unique needs of patients).
Pharmacists understand how drugs work, in particular, how they work in the human body. No other health care professional undergoes as much training with respect to drugs or medicines as pharmacists. This training also encompasses how to convey information in a way that individuals without a medical background can understand. Pharmacists may be generalists, but their analytical training prepares them to specialize in a range of areas where they feel they can deliver added value. These days, you’ll find pharmacists specializing in a wide range of fields including Psychiatry, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Oncology and of course, Skincare!
Pharmacists & Skincare: It Makes Sense!
My pharmacist training and practical experience have prepared me well to work in the field of skin care, just as it would for any other medical specialty. Analytical and patient focused skills help me to sift through clinical studies, scrutinize ingredients and recognize whether a treatment or its active ingredients can make a difference to your health, including that of your skin. I take the potential for side effects seriously and question overstated benefits – the same thing I’d do for any aspect of your health.
You won’t find hyped ingredients in Apothekari. Our science-based line is formulated with appropriate concentrations of active ingredients and botanicals that will improve the look and feel of your skin. I’ve done the research so you don’t have to!
Analytical training combined with care for patient safety and outcomes guides most pharmacists in their professional lives. I take this commitment seriously and apply it to all the products in the Apothekari line-up. Our treatments are filled with ingredients that are supported by clinical studies and included at appropriate concentrations to deliver results. I take the same care in recommending skin care products as I would regarding anything else for your health.
Here are 5 factors that I take into consideration when formulating Apothekari treatments:
- Does It Work? In addition to my education and training as a pharmacist, I scour the internet, read journals and rely on professional and personal experience to gauge the efficacy of treatments at Apothekari. If a product’s ingredients don’t make sense from a clinical perspective then you won’t find it in our products. You’ll notice that we don’t offer bust enhancement creams, potions that claim to flatten your tummy or chase away your cellulite. Instead, our line contains gentle cleansers, potent serums and soothing moisturizers – products made with ingredients that are important and effective for great skin.
- Is It A Sound Formulation? Formulating is my creative outlet so I like to experiment with various ingredients. I’ve had some pleasant outcomes, but it rarely happens the first time around. Formulating is part science and part art. Getting the right texture, colour and smell is important to ensure that our products appeal to a wide range of individuals and it can take many, many trials and months of mixing, testing, experimenting and reformulating to ensure that the treatment remains stable and effective for its intended use. I work with qualified chemists who understand the science behind an ingredient’s pH, solubility and stability. They make sure that a product is just as pleasing when you open it up as it is when you are down to the bit at the bottom of the jar six months down the road.
- Is It Safe? I avoid ingredients that come with unpleasant side effects. This isn’t to say that you will never experience a side effect with any Apothekari product, as all skincare products have the potential for side effects in susceptible individuals. To minimize the risk of this happening to you, it’s wise to do a patch test with any new product to ensure that you will not react to it. This is especially important if you have sensitive skin.
- Is It Well Preserved? For the sake of your health, please, please don’t buy into the preservative free fad. Preservatives are important and essential to keep skincare products free from bacteria, yeast and mold. These and other nasty things are not what you want growing in your eye cream. The exception are oil based (anhydrous) products, which often can be formulated preservative free. However, I’d caution against that if your hands will be touching the product or if there is a chance it may come into contact with water.
- Would I Use It Myself? If a formulation isn’t something that I’d consider using or recommend to my family and friends then you won’t find it in our brand. I want to offer products that deliver results so that you’ll feel confident in coming back to us.
Marketing jargon and an overwhelming array of choices make it complicated to navigate the world of skincare. At times, it may seem downright impossible to choose the right products for your skin type and needs. At Apothekari, it’s my job to provide safe and effective products that will benefit your skin. I take this duty seriously and I am honored to be trusted with your needs. My team and I can’t wait to help you find the products that are just right for you!
If you have any questions, we are always happy to help. Call us 1.866.876.3649 or email us and we will be happy to assist you.