In Part 1 of Pharmacists & Skincare, I discussed the education and practical experience that pharmacists receive, which prepare them to advise patients about treatments for a wide range of health conditions. Whether it’s choosing the best cough and cold remedy, determining the correct supplement dosage or the most effective pain medication, a recommendation is based on evidence based analysis of the choices available and the individual needs of the patient in question.
Analytical training combined with care for patient safety and outcomes guides most pharmacists in their professional lives. I take this commitment seriously and apply it to all the products in the Apothekari line-up. Our treatments are filled with ingredients that are supported by clinical studies and at appropriate concentrations to deliver results. I take the same care in recommending skin care products as I would regarding anything else for your health.
Pharmacists Consider These 5 Things When it Comes to Skincare
Here are 5 guidelines that I take into consideration when formulating Apothekari treatments:
- Does It Work? In addition to my education and training as a pharmacist, I scour the internet, read journals and rely on professional and personal experience to gauge the efficacy of treatments at Apothekari. If a product’s ingredients don’t make sense from a clinical perspective then you won’t find it in our products. You’ll notice that we don’t offer bust enhancement creams, potions that claim to flatten your tummy or chase away your cellulite. Instead, our line contains gentle cleansers, potent serums and soothing moisturizers – products made with ingredients that are important and effective for great skin.
- Is It A Sound Formulation? I love to create so I like to experiment with various ingredients. I’ve had some pleasant outcomes, but it rarely happens the first time around. Formulating is part science and part art. Getting the right texture, colour and smell is important to ensure that our products appeal to a wide range of individuals. And it can take many, many trials and months of mixing, testing, experimenting and reformulating to ensure that the treatment remains stable and effective for its intended use. I work with qualified chemists who understand the science behind an ingredient’s pH, solubility and stability. They make sure that a product is just as pleasing when you open it up as it is when you are down to the bit at the bottom of the jar six months down the road.
- Is It Safe? I avoid ingredients that come with unpleasant side effects. This isn’t to say that you will never experience a side effect with any Apothekari product, as all skincare products have the potential for side effects in susceptible individuals. With any new topical treatment, it is wise to do a patch test first to ensure that you will not react to any given product. This is especially important if you have sensitive skin.
- Is It Well Preserved? For the sake of your health, please, please don’t buy into the preservative free fad. Preservatives are important and necessary to keep skincare products free from bacteria, yeast and mold. These and other nasty things are not what you want growing in your eye cream. The exception are oil based products, which often can be formulated preservative free.
- Would I Use It Myself? If a formulation isn’t something that I’d consider using or recommend to my family and friends then you won’t find it in our brand. It’s important that I offer products that deliver results so that you’ll feel confident in coming back to us.
Marketing jargon and an overwhelming array of choices make it complicated to navigate the world of skincare. At times, it may seem downright impossible to choose the right products for your skin type and needs. At Apothekari, it’s my job to provide safe and effective products that will benefit your skin. I take this duty seriously and I am honored to be trusted with your needs. My team and I can’t wait to help you find the products that are just right for your skin!
If you have any questions, we are always happy to help. Call us at 1.866.876.3649 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you.