Ferulic acid is a potent plant antioxidant that has been finding its way into a variety of skin care treatments over the past few years. Found in the bran of rice, wheat and oats, it is also present in coffee, apple, artichokes and peanuts. In plants, it plays a key role in the plant’s self-preservation mechanism, helping to reinforce its cellular wall strength and protecting it from microbial and sun damage. When used as a topical antioxidant, ferulic acid prevents damage caused by free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS), which are implicated in DNA damage, cancer and accelerated cell aging.
In skin care treatments, ferulic acid is included for not only its antioxidant capacity, but also for its ability to help stabilize Vitamin C, which is prone to oxidation. A study has shown that when ferulic acid was added to a combination of Vitamins C and E, that the photo protective capacity on the skin was doubled. Additionally, there is a small amount of research showing that oral supplements of ferulic acid can inhibit the production of melanin, thereby aiding in the process of skin lightening.
You can find ferulic acid in:
- Apothekari Antioxidant Firming Eye Gel:
- Prevents signs of aging
- Corrects signs of photodamage
- Reduce the appearance of puffiness and under-eye bags.
Use it to strengthen the under eye area, leaving it looking healthier, brighter and younger-looking.
- Apothekari Brilliant C Serum:
- Improve the appearance of aging and fine lines
- Promote even skin tone, erasing pigmentation and age spots
- Increase collagen synthesis and elastin production leading to firmer more toned skin.
Ideal for combination to oily skin.
- Apothekari Undercover Agent Serum:
- Protects skin from oxidative and environmental stresses (pollution, UV rays) that cause premature aging
- Prevents damage by neutralizing free radicals
- Repairs existing photodamage and stimulates collagen production
- Reduces sunburn cell formation
- Prevents the formation of thymine dimers (DNA mutations that can contribute to the development of skin cancer).
Ideal for normal to dry skin.