If you can only set one health goal for 2020, let this be the year to look after your skin. Putting your skin at the top of your priority list benefits your overall wellness.
Find out how our Ageless Skin Set can help to achieve this health goal while also simplifying your skin care routine – more in this post.
Mindfulness In Your Health Goal
Our skin is our largest and one of our most vital organs and it reflects our overall health. Yet, it is among the most neglected and misunderstood parts of our bodies. Just about anything we do, from what we eat to how much we stress or sleep, including where we live, influences our skin.
- Stress causes the release of hormones, which helps us cope, but may also be damaging. Temporarily elevated levels are fine, but over the long term, high levels of hormones like cortisol can lower our immune function, lead to weight gain and to skin that appears dull and dry and at risk for the development of acne, fine lines and rashes. It’s nearly impossible to avoid stress so it’s important to manage it. At Apothekari, we’ve found that meditation, exercise, adequate sleep and the company of good people are essential to coping with stress. More here.
- They don’t call it ‘beauty sleep’ for nothing! Sleep deprivation shows on your skin resulting in dark shadows & under-eye puffiness; sallow, lacklustre skin due to poor circulation and inflammatory skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis and eczema due to elevated levels of cortisol (see above).
- Eat Well. We are what we eat and now that the season of indulgence is coming to an end, it’s time to restock your pantry and fridge with foods that will help you to stick with your health goal. Load up on fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein and healthy fats. A diet filled with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and essential fatty acids are essential to good health and provide the building blocks for beautiful skin. And, drink enough water. Hydration is crucial for all aspects of health, including skin health, because it allows your body to effectively carry out the functions that keep fluids moving.
- Exercise. Benefiting not just our heart and our waistline, new research suggests that exercise also results in microscopic changes to skin, making it look younger – by up to 20 to 30 years!
Keep It Simple
An effective skincare regimen doesn’t have to be complicated, and doesn’t require a myriad of products. Bonus: you’re more likely to stick with your health goal if it’s easy.
- Take inventory of the products you’re using (this is also a good time to look at your makeup) and discard outdated products or ones that your skin doesn’t love. This includes products containing harsh ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate or sensitizing ones like fragrances. You know your skin best so only you can be the judge of the ingredients that don’t agree with you.
- Don’t keep duplicates around, unless you like to alternate between brands and products. This can make sense in some instances – for example, richer creams for drier winters and lighter ones or serums for warmer and more humid conditions. Choose the ones that work best for you and get rid of the rest.
- Don’t be duped into 7,9 or 11 step skincare routines. In most cases, they are absolutely unnecessary, eating up time, creating confusion and helping to empty out your wallet. Be ruthless when evaluating products and get rid of them if you aren’t using them or they are wasting your precious time. Most of us benefit with just a few steps:
- Every Morning: Layer an antioxidant serum like our Bespoke Vitamin C Serum to protect against free radical damage. Follow with sunscreen, every day year round to protect against the damaging effects of UVA and UVB rays.
- Every Night: Cleanse your face night to remove make-up and dirt and prep skin for other treatments. Apply a retinoid serum, like our gentle and effective A is for Anti-Aging Serum to boost collagen production and minimize the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- As Needed: Incorporate treatments like moisturizers, oils, etc to manage dryness, acne and other skin conditions as needed.
Our Ageless Skin Set includes a cleanser, our Bespoke Vitamin C Serum, A is for Anti-Aging Serum and Daily Infusion Moisturizer. It provides the basics to get you started on a simple and effective regimen. Just add sunscreen.
Establish and Stick to A Routine
Consistency is key to success and like any good habit, it’s worth investing the time to develop one. There’s no such thing as an instant fix and when it comes to the the health goal of your skin, give it time. Evaluate results after about six weeks, which is the minimum amount of time needed to notice a difference. And, don’t forget the skin on your body, which also deserves some attention and care.
Let 2020 – the start of a new decade – be the year that you give your skin the care and attention it deserves. Your body will say thank you!