You may be using a niacinamide skin care treatment without even knowing it. Also known as Vitamin B3, niacinamide isn’t as well known as retinoids, antioxidants or AHAs. However, it’s a powerhouse ingredient that comes with no shortage of benefits when used as part of a regular skin care regimen. Think of niacinamide as the quieter, heads down colleague who always delivers on time. Just like that co-worker, who may never get the recognition, niacinamide really, really needs to be on your team!
Niacinamide is found in all our bodies with a large concentration found in tissues like the brain, heart, liver and skeletal muscle. It plays an important role in energy production. For those of you interested in the science, niacinamide works by reducing the rate of decline of two important enzymes (NADH and NADPH) which are involved in cellular energy production and fats that are responsible for cell growth.
Foods rich in niacinamide include yeast, meat, milk, and green vegetables.
Niacinamide Skin Care
Niacinamide skin care products have the following beneficial properties:
- Anti-inflammatory, thereby useful in conditions including psoriasis, rosacea and acne
- Stimulates collagen production
- Prevents moisture loss
- Increases ceramide (lipid) production
- Lightens pigmentation and evens skin tone.
Formulators include niacinamide in their treatments to treat:
- Dry skin
- The appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Pigmentation and
- Acne breakouts. One study compared niacinamide 4% to Clindamycin (a popular prescription treatment for acne) and noted that they were equally effective in controlling breakouts.
Niacinamide skin care therapies are beneficial for younger skin burdened by acne and they also benefit more mature skin.
Our favourite niacinamide skin care product is Apothekari A is for Anti-Aging. In this treatment, it is combined with other actives to deliver antioxidant, skin brightening, anti-acneic, skin smoothing and skin hydration benefits. This is my go to serum at night and it’s one that I wouldn’t give up, ever!