Sweat confidently! Prevent body odor with our new natural deodorant free from aluminum, parabens and baking soda, available in three essential oil scents – Lavender Bergamot, Grapefruit Ginger & Neroli Rose.
We’ve been working on this product for over 2 years and are very excited to introduce it to you! Formulated with healthy ingredients that respect skin’s natural chemistry, our natural deodorant contains mild, natural and environmentally friendly ingredients, including an enzyme that neutralizes odors caused by perspiration; leaving you smelling fresh all day! Convenient roll-application means no messy hands either.
What Causes Body Odor?
If you exercise, when you’re too warm, feeling nervous, anxious or stressed, chances are you’ll sweat. Sweat is released by sweat glands – eccrine (over most of your body) or apocrine (hairy areas) – to help cool your body down. Sweat itself is odorless until it combines with the bacteria that live on your skin, especially in moist areas like your armpits and groin.
The bacteria on your skin break down certain proteins in your sweat into acids. This by-product of the bacteria breaking down the sweat is what results in body odor. Sweat produced by apocrine glands (as compared to the eccrine glands) is high in protein, resulting in more smelly acids. It’s the reason why body odor tends to occur more frequently under the armpits and groin.
Anti-Perspirant vs Natural Deodorant
An anti-perspirant works by blocking sweat ducts, thereby reducing the amount of sweat that reaches the skin’s surface. Bacteria can’t break down the sweat so the odor causing by-products are not produced. Most anti-antiperspirants rely on aluminum salts, which are effective because they stop the sweating that ultimately leads to odor. While there has been speculation that aluminum is linked to breast cancer and Alzheimer’s Disease, the data to support this is weak at best. Aluminum, does however, come with other side effects including skin irritation and that horrible yellowing on the underarms of your white shirts.
A natural deodorant, doesn’t reduce sweat, but prevents odor with ingredients that reduce the odor causing bacteria and/or by masking it with scent . Natural deodorants often rely on baking soda to help reduce bacteria by increasing the skin’s pH to 8-9; a range that sits much higher than our skin’s ideal pH, and which can cause irritation. For this reason, our deodorant is free from baking soda.
Free From Aluminum, Parabens & Baking Soda
Apothekari Natural Deodorant is formulated without irritating baking soda or aluminum salts. This helps to reduce the potential for skin irritation and also means no yellow stains on the underarms of your white shirts!
Our formulation contains odor neutralizing enzymes along with lactic acid. This combination helps to prevent body odor, while also conditioning skin and respecting and maintaining the healthy physiological pH of your skin. We offer 3 different essential oil scent blends, to help keep you feeling fresh all day.
Like all our products, our natural deodorant is also paraben free and cruelty free. It’s taken us years to perfect this formula and we hope you love it as much as we do! Read more about our philosophy here…
Using Apothekari Natural Deodorant & FAQ
If you are new to our natural deodorant, here are some answers to frequently asked questions and usage for optimal efficacy:
- Does Apothekari Natural Deodorant Control Wetness? Our deodorants don’t contain aluminum (which stops perspiration) so we are not an anti-perspirant. You will still sweat, but you won’t smell!
- How Should I Apply? Give the deodorant container a shake and then roll under each armpit. Allow a few minutes to dry before dressing.
- How Long Will One Container Last? Everyone is different and much depends on how frequently and how often you apply. With daily roll-on application, we find that one bottle lasts between 2-3 months on average.
- Prep Your Clothes. Odors can linger from waxes and oils found in anti-perspirants, natural deodorants and fabric softeners. These may be left behind in clothing causing it to smell even after washing. If this is the case, you may need to treat the clothing first with an enzymatic detergent before washing. Try doing this before tossing in the hamper. Please don’t blame our deodorant if your clothing smells!
- You Do Not Need to Detox! You know those natural deodorants that tell you to detox? Well, unlike those, you do not need a pit detox with Apothekari because our deodorant is baking soda free! Without baking soda, you don’t need to worry about developing a rash or burn under your arms. Baking soda deodorants have a high pH (8-9), which can cause skin irritation. Our skin is happy at a pH around 5 – our approach respects your skin’s pH and chemistry ensuring that you won’t experience the irritation often seen with other natural deodorants.