This easy, AND, healthy watermelon salad delivers the juicy, cooling hydration that my body craves when the temperature rises.
One of the great things about this salad is that it’s soooo versatile. Eat it as a side, as a snack, an appetizer or as a main (just add in more protein). Make it vegetarian—or vegan—throw in your leftovers and call it a day!
This is a healthy watermelon salad too! Watermelon is packed with antioxidants and amino acids and also low in calories—1 cup has only 40. The pumpkin seeds (if you use) and olive oil deliver healthy fats and if you throw in some greens and a bit of protein, you’ve got a delicious full meal.
Healthy Watermelon Salad
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 5 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3-4 cups watermelon chunks (1 1/2-inch)
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
Optional & Substitutions (*faves)
- *2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- *pumpkin seeds
- *olives (as much as you like) ?
- sub basil for mint
- bed of greens
- finely chopped jalapenos, as hot as you want
- *Tajin seasoning (a Mexican seasoning made with chili peppers, lime and salt. You may need to adjust seasonings above if you use this so be mindful. (I ? this over any fruit – great with mangos too!) I tend to keep this salad vegetarian but see if you like it with chicken or tuna. Let me know if you try!
- Whisk the oil, lemon juice, salt.
- Drizzle dressing over the watermelon and mint. (If you’re using greens, I like to add it in this step)
- Top with feta, olives and any other toppings.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
Tip: Put the watermelon in the fridge before cubing. I find it enhances its flavor. Enjoy!